Hon. Brian Tollefson
I am committed to resolving disputes to reach a just and proper resolution in every case using my forty plus years of legal and judicial experience.
During my career, I have handled almost every, type of case within Superior Court’s Constitutional Jurisdiction including: Family law; Probate; Personal Injury; Real Property; Employment; Contract; Business/Partnership Disputes.
During my judicial career (1989 – 2016) I conducted over two thousand mediation-style settlement conferences.
I served two years (2013 & 2014) in the specialized Pierce County Family Court managing a wide range of high conflict family law disputes.
FORMAL ADR & MEDIATION AND FAMILY LAW TRAINING:
- National Judicial College, Civil Mediation (2017) 40 hours
- National Judicial College, Managing Challenging Family Law Cases (2012) 28 hours
- Family Law and ADR subjects, sponsored by such organizations as the Washington State Superior Court Judges Association, the Northwest Dispute Resolution Conference, and the King County Bar Association ADR section.
JUDICIAL HIGHLIGHTS (1989-2016):
- Pierce County Superior Court Presiding Judge (1997)
- Member, Superior Court Executive Committee (1995-1997)
- Presiding Judge, Family Court (Jan. 2014 – Dec. 2014)
- Trustee for the Washington State Superior Court Judges Association (SCJA) (1994-1999).
- SCJA Family and Juvenile Court Committee (various years)
- SCJA Education Committee (various years)
BAR ASSOCIATION MEMBERSHIP AND SERVICE:
- Washington State Bar Association, 1976
- Board of Governors, Washington State Bar Association (2017-2020) 6th District
- WSBA Sections member: Family Law, ADR, and Real Property, Probate & Trust
- Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association, Kitsap County Bar Association, King County Bar Association
- Master’s Degree in Judicial Studies (MJS) from the University of Nevada, Reno (2009).
- J.D. cum laude (1976) Willamette University College of Law, Salem, Oregon.
- University of Washington, B. A. in Business Administration (1973, Accounting Major).